Veloergometry is a diagnostics method to evaluate physical tolerance or a load test.
Visually, a veloergometer resembles fitness equipment similar to a bicycle which is equipped with special hardware. With the help of the hardware a heart cardiogram is registered for a patient during load, arterial blood pressure is measured, as well as changes that appear after load are observed – if there are heart rate disorders, blood vessel narrowing and similar problems. A veloergometry test is mainly necessary for patients who complain about pain in the heart region, in order to determine the factors causing pain more precisely.
It is also possible to determine the effect of different medications on the human body with the help of veloergometry.
A veloergometry load test is made for people of different ages, weights and genders by observing only some conditions: a patient’s weight may not be larger than 120 kilograms because a veloergometer does not bear a larger weight, as well as it may not be a child who is not able to reach pedals of the device with their legs.
Diagnostics possibilities of veloergometry:
• Primary diagnostics of coronary heart disease (CHD);
• Evaluation of the existing CHD severity degree;
• Control of the effect of treatment and medications;
• Evaluation of physical tolerance.
Preparation for a procedure:
- a patient should come on an empty stomach or three or four hours after eating;
- if a diagnosis is to be specified, no medications may be used on the day of making a test and also three days in advance (but a physician should be consulted first);
- medications must be taken if a patient wishes to try their efficiency.